I am not sure that we have recovered from the Spokane show yet, but we keep plugging away at work. You can’t build a legacy if you aren’t willing to build.

Monday was a nice and sunny day. Mil foaled and one of the three show heifers left to calve calved, a blue roan colt and an Angus bull calf. Toni had court prep for court on Tuesday. We also had some gals out to look at the colts. Kade and Anna had FFA practice after school and dad and Toni went in for the dinner and to be judges for the practice. Toni said there is a BBQ team, and that is who did dinner, and it was amazing.

Tuesday Toni had court, so was gone all day. I had work too so was also gone all day. After work and court we worked on getting more water on to the little pastures, we had to pull the hoses out of the weeds, etc. One of them sprung a big leak over the winter so we pulled it into the yard for dad to fix. We moved mares into the corral for dad and Toni to take up to Allies on Wednesday, and West Niled Sally so she was ready to go to Johns and get bred to PD. Jaxsen went with the older kids after chores to dye/ assist Anna in clipping his heifer. Jaxsen assures us that he is ready to show this year. We aren’t clear if his animals are ready. His heifer is ready because he is taking the big fat fall heifer that anyone can show. He is getting a free heifer pass this year, which he really likes.

Wednesday dad and Toni left first thing to Allies with Annie, Reba, Miss Gen and Cinder. Reba to get bred and the other three to check if they were in foal. None were, so Annie stayed to get AIed to a Shiner Named Sioux again. Dennis brought Butterscotch back so that we could breed her, so she went in with King to get bred. He was reseeding his pasture and had nowhere to put her. She is a nice big mare and will have a nice foal with King. She is by Colonel and out of Buttercup (An Azure Te bred mare). Dad and I fixed the sprinkler hose while Toni got Irish in. We put Irish and Gracie in with the yearling fillies to tease to take to breed to Witty, the Colonel son that Holly Miller has. Lendy was close, so we got her in and put her in the heavy mare pen. Sally and her spawn Saul were jerks and chased her around in unison.  They are pretty much two pees in a pod.

                Thursday morning Anna and Kade left early to go to FFA State Convention, so dad took Jaxsen and Kaine to school.  Kaine felt he got to mom and dads in plenty of time. Dad felt Kaine was a little late. But they made it to school in plenty of time. Tank’s pen was out in the alfalfa field. Butterscotch was out behind the house, which she is in a pole pen, but has been trained as a jumping horse. She has no scratches and the fence is up, so we are going with that she jumped out. Dad and Toni put Butterscotch back. Toni checked the three mares in circle 5 and then chopped some trees. Kaine and Jaxsen did chores. Toni and I moved water and then went down and fixed Tank’s fence. Kicker was working on circles and doing cattle chores with Kaine and Jaxsen. Ben got home and fed the bottle calf. Anna and Kade did not get home as late as expected. They both had a great first day at FFA State Convention. The Convention is in the tri-cities again this year, so it isn’t as fun as when we went, but it will be in Pullman again next year.

Friday Anna and Kade left early for FFA state again. We had a few calls on people wanting to come out and look at foals. One repeat buyer came on out and another one scheduled for Saturday, an FFA group scheduled for Saturday at 12:30 and someone coming out to look at minis at some point on Saturday. Mom and dad went up to neighbor Kyra’s plant sale on Friday. Toni sold Lil Fooler and did chores with Kaine and Jaxsen. They move about ½ of Leroy’s pen out to the pasture, so hopefully those mares are all bred. Jesse the miniature had a filly on Friday.  Kade and Anna got back decently early again on Friday. Kade’s CCM team came in 8th at State, so we are pretty proud of him.

Saturday Toni and dad went to Tri Cities to judge FFA competitions, with cousin Bobette and lots of other people they knew. At 8 I had Juan out to look at foals, he bought Mercedes. Next I had a group out looking at the miniature horses. Then Tekoa FFA came out and got a tour in between sessions at State Convention. Kaine and Kade were working on their heifers and steers and clipping. Camas came over and helped. Jaxsen went to his friend Luke’s birthday party. Ben was at work. Kicker was working on circles. Mom was working on hats. Rainy the miniature had a colt on Saturday.  Dad and Toni got back really late. Anna got back even later, but her Ag Sales team took 8th at State so that was awesome! Super proud of her. She had the highest score on her team.

                Sunday was Mother’s Day, Happy Mother’s Day. Mom pulled Minnie’s filly on Sunday. We then put her in the dog run and Kade packed the filly into the pen. Minnie is a first time mother and the filly needed some extra time to adjust to life. Minnie was herself and not bothered by the fact that she had a foal and it wasn’t nursing or getting up. Minnie is pretty chill. Spicy the miniature also foaled on Sunday and had a filly. Minnie’s filly mom and Kade named Mouse (like Minnie Mouse). Ben and Kicker cooked lunch and mom made rolls. We also celebrated Skip’s birthday since we will be in Ritzville at the Wheatland Jackpot and the Angus Show. After lunch the kids went out to work on their heifers and steers and Toni and I started hauling mares out with stallions. And we hauled Irish and Gracie to Holly’s to breed to Witty. We had 6 mares to haul all over on Sunday. The men got water running and did cow chores.  We heard that Jaxsen hadn’t been working on his steer because he didn’t realize, even though he had been told, that the steer is going to the show this weekend. Really don’t know what to say about that.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: