This program showcases the stock being bred and raised by AQHA Ranching Heritage members. Additionally, it provides an opportunity for youth to become engaged in the horse industry at a fundamental level that will be fun and educational.
To give older AQHYA members who want to participate in a hands-on horse training opportunity that will teach the fundamentals of horsemanship. The youth will have the chance to showcase their skills and knowledge acquired at designated events where they can earn scholarships and prizes.
Participating Ranching Heritage members will offer young horses for members to judge, select, purchase, raise and train. The rancher’s goal will be to monitor these young horsemen to teach responsibility and goal-setting, important components of equine ownership.
AQHYA members have the chance to receive a free weanling from several generous AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeders. To be eligible to receive a free foal, youth applicants must submit their applications to receive a foal by late October 15.
The second way youth can participate in the Ranching Heritage Youth Horse Development Program is to purchase a Ranching Heritage Challenge-nominated foal from a Ranching Heritage Breeder before early Fall.
For more information on the Youth Horse Development Program, download this fact sheet.
2015-16 Scholarship Winners
- Kaitlyn Boykin of Elizabeth, Colorado, with Special Frenchmans, a 2015 chestnut filly by Frenchmans Fire Fox and out of Colonels glitter by Coyote Colonel, bred by Jim and Joni Hunt (Open Box Rafter Ranch) of Faith, South Dakota – $2,000 and a Montana Silversmith belt buckle.
- David Gringeri of Fair Haven, Vermont, with Centenial Drift, a 2015 sorrel filly by Flit Drift and out of Centenial Pride by Coyote Colonel, bred by Jim and Joni Hunt (Open Box Rafter Ranch) of Faith, South Dakota – $1,500 and a pair of Justin boots.
- Rebekah Eilert of Powhattan, Kansas, with French Flit Takota, a 2015 palomino filly by French Flit and out of Chileta Te by PC Cisco Frost, bred by Jim and Joni Hunt (Open Box Rafter Ranch) of Faith, South Dakota – $1,000 and a $100 Wrangler gift certificate.
- Anthony Luna of Flagstaff, Arizona, with RO Bluechip Dividend, a 2015 blue roan filly by Hancock Dividend and out of RO Pepto Winner by Dual Winner, bred by O RO Ranch of Prescott, Arizona – $500 and a $100 Wrangler gift certificate.
2015-16 Program Participants
The following AQHYA members are participating in the program for 2015-16:
- Jynsen Bibler of Scottsdale, Arizona
- Cody Austin Tibbetts of Bow, New Hampshire
- Devynn Osborne of Fort Backmore, Virginia
- Lucy Cluff of Charleston, Rhode Island
- Kaleigh Hanzlick of Channing, Texas
- Baili Kerth of Sylvan Grove, Kansas
- Hope Gabriella Kanning of Columbia City, Indiana
- David Gringeri of Fair Haven, Vermont
- Kaitlyn Boykin of Elizabeth, Colorado
- Rebekah Anne Eilert of Powhattan, Kansas
- Lisa Steward of Kimberly, Idaho
- Bailey Alexander of Millville, California
- Anthony Luna of Flagstaff, Arizona
- Saryn Paulsen of Hutto, Texas
- McKenzie Woodall of Kingsville, Texas
- Keylee Frans of Thomas, Oklahoma
- Isabella Peyton Moore of Bullard, Texas
- Molly Witzeling of Waterford, Wisconsin
- Nicole Goss of Aberdeen, Idaho
- Laura Croghan of Hardyville, Kentucky
- Shaylynn Taylor of Trenton, Florida
- Marie Crochet of Houma, Louisiana
- Mercedes Ogden of Prescott Valley, Arizona
- Ariel Mae Olvey of Phoenix
- Kyndra Bibler of Scottsdale, Arizona
- Wade Smith of Oldfield, Missouri
- Jordan Sandberg of Somerset, Wisconsin
For more information on the Young Horse Development Program, Click here.