“In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours.” Mark Twain

Monday was a busy day. Toni got Kade and Jax on the bus, then her and dad headed north with 6 mares, three to go to Allie’s house and three to Marcy McBride. They made good time, and were back by around 2:30. I hear that the mares loaded well, weather was good, so the trip was uneventful, just how we like them.  Anna and Kaine checked and tied up the steers, Thursday they will be back to school full time and Toni will be back to checking every morning. Dad was back in time to take Kaine to baseball practice. I had to run to Broadmoor after work to get a part for the camper. Nellie got a puncture above her eye so we are now doctoring her every night, so moved her to the yearling pen. So now Nellie and Peanut are both in the yearling pen. Toni and the kids did chores, then Anna, Kaine and Kade went up to feed steers and show heifers. Ben and Kicker came down and fixed the circle at mom and dads when they got home. Then they had other circles to fix and were out late doing that. Mom and dad said Monday night that they were going to go to Spokane on Saturday and Sunday to visit our great aunt, Francis Fae and go to the casino and what not. We said sounds good, you should think about going to Idaho, less restrictions. So we shall see what happens. 

Tuesday Piper had a colt by Jackpot. He looks pretty grullo, but Toni does not want to jinx him by calling him that, so he is a dun. I secretly named Izzy’s foal on Monday while dad and Toni were north to see if they would notice (I put the name on the website), Toni uploaded pics Tuesday and saved Izzy foal under her name, so she noticed, but has not said anything. LOL Kayla the brand inspector came out to brand inspect some bulls and steers. Toni was going to meet her but got stuck on the phone, so it was just Kayla and the kids. Mom, Kaine and Anna went in for hair buts before tennis and baseball practice. Toni met the bus to get Kade and Jaxsen off, so she felt it was a good time to continue with fence building since she had a captive audience. They finished the section they were on so Toni and Kade got the yearling fillies in and wormed and gave them West Nile. They were on the last one when I got there, Huckleberry, who broke her leg as a baby and it has mended pretty well. But, she is not halter broke due to her leg, so we put the halter on her and led her for a little bit. She is a very smart filly, and fairly tame, so it actually went fairly well.  She is also super tall like her sister Sally. Anna, Kaine and Kade went to feed their show animals, Toni, Jaxsen and I went down to circle 5 to fix some fence.  I had the fence fixed by the time Toni and Jax found their wandering dogs and showed up.

Wednesday was a nice but chilly morning. Still no Mil baby, we are over a year. Anna and mom ran Mittens into Sagehill vet, Mittens is a cat, he looked like he had lost a tooth, but no, he actually had broken his lower jaw. Sheena got him all fixed up and Ben picked him up on his way home. Then, mom, Anna and Kaine went in to Kaine’s baseball practice and Anna’s last tennis match, I met mom and Anna in at the tennis match. It was a great match, really touch and go, but Anna and her partner won. Toni’s new file person, Kaedyn started on Wed. Kaedyn is thinking about going to law school so is working for Toni once per week for experience. Toni, Kade and Jaxsen (and Kaine when he got there) were working on the two year olds, Toni decided that Wednesday was a work on horses day, she said Thursday is a fencing day. Kade and Jaxsen are REALLY looking forward to baseball starting. After chores the three older kids went to feed their show cattle. Toni and I went down to put more T Posts on the bottom of circle 8. Then I went home to Dr Mittens.

Thursday was a beautiful day. But, still no Mil baby, however, Reba had a cute cute colt by Sagebug. However, the kids and Toni were disappointed, they were hoping for a grulla filly with lots of chrome that they were going to keep. Instead we got a red dun colt with not a lot of chrome. But, he is still a cutie. Anna and Kaine were back to full time school Thursday, dogs were not pleased. Kaine had baseball practice. Thursday was a fencing day, so we put in some more T posts after chores.

Friday was a beautiful day. Toni had to go back to in person court which does not make her happy. Dad text first thing and said that Bell foaled. The dogs and I checked cows, then I got T107 and his mom back together, he crawled through the fence and him and his mom were separated. Then I went into Connell and got coffee for Tennelle and I from 509 and went and got my hair done. Then I came home and got pics of the bulls. Toni texted and asked if I was ready for chores, so we went down and worked on some of the horses, Friday is a horse day. Marlo came and helped with chores and brought us poppyseed bred, that was really good.

Saturday morning was rainy and windy. Ben, Anna, Kaine and I went to Rod Rottinghaus in the morning and got some grass hay for Kaine’s steer Ringo, the hay was really nice. TLC texted me on our way there and said our beef was done, so I ran in and got it after I got home. We had lunch when I got home and then we moved some meat around and did some organization. Mom and dad went to Spokane for the night, so we went down and walked the dog, moved Mil into the foaling pen, she was waxed up, moved Bell over with the old mares, she did like being in with Yo. Put Zoey in with Double. Wormed and West Niled the yearling colts, took pictures of them. Then went home.

Sunday morning at 5 Toni went down and checked and Mil and she had a CUTE red roan filly by NZ Scotch Time. Anna and I went back down a few hrs later to check on her again and walk Sam and let the rest of the dogs out. We went and checked the rest of the mares after and then I took Anna home so her and the boys could wash the steers and clip. I went and put mineral out and fixed a little fence. Toni sent some horse contracts out on Rog and No Fool. Then Toni went and fixed some fence and tore down some other fence. Kicker was down cleaning out the beaver pond and Ben was cleaning out the barn and working on the camper before we take it to Spokane. After lunch Toni and I went down and got the mares in that had had foals and put them in with studs.  Jaxsen helped us a little bit. We put Mil and Reba in with the old mares, we are breeding those three mares to King.  We decided to put Izzy in with Jackpot so she ran through the fence first thing, so we got her back in and the fence fixed. Sunday was one of those days were you put your coat on because you were cold, then two minutes later took it back off because you were hot. It was interesting weather. We got all of the mares in out of Circle 8, sorted them, but decided not to put any in the heavy pen. We finished West nile and worming the open horses that were out there. We got done with all of our work about 7, so decided we could quit.

This next week we need to get King from Tim Johnson, ship some bulls out, and get ourselves mentally and actually prepared for the Jr. livestock show. There were multiple pages of rules that came out regarding how this in-person show is going to go.  But it is all for the kids so we need to put a smile on our face and go let them have a great time showing their livestock. If anyone needs any beef, the kids will have their three steers for sale at the Jr. show and we have beef in the freezer. Prices and info at got-beef.net

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: