Posts Tagged With: #Herefords

Red Eyed Hereford bull for sale


Hereford Bull
 BB 3141 DOMINO 6018
Date Born: 1/8/21
More Info: Click here for more info
Price: 3,000
T105 is a bull calf by BB 3141 DOMINO 6018, who is a great low birht weight bull by GB L1 DOMINO 3141W, and out of a BB MARK CLASS 1003 daughter that is out of a Yankee cow. T101’s dam is KT DOMINO ADVANCE 717 (717T), who is by CX 3027 Advance 1050 and out of a BB Rock Solid 1081 cow. He was born 1/8/21 and has a 68 lb actual BW. Click here for pedigree info and EPDs.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , ,

The winter of April 2022

The winter of April 2022 pretty much derailed us on all fronts. Monday dad was going to take a load of beef cows and a bull to Toppenish, however, we woke up to it snowing in April. So sometimes you have to roll with the punches, the cows were unloaded and turned out in the corral. The kids did not have school, teacher in-service day, so Anna went and checked. Piper had foaled and it was blowing and cold, so Toni and Anna got in Piper and her colt, and Twiggy and her colt, and they hauled them to the house.  I heard that it was pretty hectic. The snow was blowing so hard that it took awhile to find the horses, get them in, and get the two pair sorted off. By the time they got that done the roads weren’t great, so Toni had Anna drive her own vehicle in case things went sideways with the trailer full of horses they both weren’t in it. Toni let the kids out of fence building for Monday, due to the blizzard like conditions.

Tuesday we continued to have weird April weather, however, it was better then Monday.  Due to the Monday weather, we canceled the hauler who was hauling some heifers and a bull we sold. The weather was just too iffy. Snow fell from the sky, but did not really stick, and it rained, and the wind blew, but not as hard. It was still cold. Toni went out to check and Izzy had a cute palomino colt. Then she noticed that Voodoo had legs out, so she called Mom and Kendel for backup. That is the “C-Team” in case anyone was wondering, yet this year they have had to step up their game.  She texted me to call Sheena at Sagehill vet that she was bringing her in. She then pulled VooDoo’s filly while she waited for Mom and Kendel to bring the trailer, and then called me back to tell me to call Sheena and say we were not bringing her in. VooDoo then ran off, so Toni, Mom and Kendel loaded the little filly up in the trailer, which she could not stand up at this point, and hauled her to the house. They cleaned her up, gave her colostrum, and mom continued to feed her throughout the day. Since she could not stand up all day, Toni had to leave work and go help mom feed her, so they could stand her up and get her circulation going. By the time I got there, I went out to the trailer to look at her and she was up. I did not know that this was new, so I gave her some pets and encouraging words and went into the house. Toni and Kade were out building fence, Kaine had baseball practice and got to moms about the time I came out of the trailer. I went out to give Kade some water and said something about her being up, and Toni said she has not been able to get up by herself, I said well, she is up. So that drastically improved her chances. However, at this point she still had not had a bm, so we, Toni, mom and I gave her an enema. And about 60 seconds later she had a good bm. So I texted Sheena that she was up and had a bm and was doing better. Sheena did not know she was not on her mom, so Sheena said we should bring her in in the morning for some plasma. About this time Jake Bennett (no relation) showed up to look at the studs on his way to CA, and then went down to check on VooDoo with us. We got down there and Tank and his mares were out in the alfalfa field, so Jake also helped us fix fence and got shocked, we didn’t laugh (or did we laugh hysterically).  Tuesday was long. By the end of it we have Molly Brown (Mom named her) about a 50/50 chance at best but we were sending out positive thoughts.

Wednesday the Unsinkable Molly Brown, “Molly B,” was doing great, so dad and I loaded her in the trailer so him and mom could take her in to see Sheena. She pooped all over me so I had to go home and change on my way to work. I guess the enema did wonders. There was road construction on the end of Hendricks Rd, so I also had to wait there, but don’t worry, I made it to work on time. We had some more light snow on Wednesday, it was cold, but a little warmer than Monday and Tuesday. Dad had a dentist appointment and ended up getting some teeth pulled. Toni went and got Molly B, who seemed even more energized after the plasma. Then we had a big blue roan outside mare arrive. Of course Rick and Jaime also had to see Molly B, so they helped Toni unload her and move her back to her living quarters. Jaxsen and Kaine both had baseball practice.  Tank’s pen had been put in the corral so after chores we went down and fixed fence so they could go back out.

Thursday we had another snowstorm, so dad canceled going to Toppenish again. Which was good, it got worse down in the valley. Molly B’s vet appointment was also canceled due to the storm. However, later in the day her joints swelled,  she was lethargic, and things didn’t seem to be going well. After a consultation with Sheena, who said we had better bring her in and figure out how much money were planned to invest,  Toni ran her in and she got more plasma. Her plasma was really low. The good news was her total proteins had come up and weren’t as low, so we still had some hope.  I went down and let Tank’s pen out of the alley while Toni was at the vet. Dad took Jaxsen in to baseball and brought Kaine home and took him up to help with chores. The men had some equipment to use the hours on, the neighbor rented it but did not use all of the hours so let them use it, and so they cleaned pens and hauled dirt. I got stuck, where I had driven on Sunday and it was now was wet and muddy due to the storms (which is good we need the moisture), so Kaine came down and got me. We got home and the TV had died. Then Ben decided they were going to go back down and get my pickup out and they got his pickup stuck. So Anna went down and got them.  Toni and Molly B got home about 8 pm, but we were still not out of the woods with Molly.

Friday the morning was cold. Tank’s pen was back out. They got locked back up in the alley and got some hay. Marlo came out and helped do chores and unload groceries and fix fence. The fence was not actually down, they have started going through the circle gates.  Molly B started actually trotting and moving around a bunch more, so that was a relief. She also started having a lot of attitude which reminded us of why we hate bottle baby horses. But without that attitude she would not have persevered, because the odds were very against her, not that she was totally out of the woods, but things were looking up. We are really a fairly positive family about sickness in livestock and survival. If someone says 50/50, we think great, we have a chance, and we continue to fight for that animal.

Saturday it was rainy and cold again. Dad went and got Camas, so Camas and Kaine pulled out posts in the corn field and rolled up the section of fence that was still up.  Then they put out mineral to the cows. Anna and I got in Tanks Pen, then got in Jackpots pen, went and picked up Tanks pen in the trailer, hauled him and mares to Circle 3 and then hauled Jackpots pen to circle 6. It really started to rain after lunch, the kids went out and checked Gunners pen and made sure Jackpot was still in. I worked on pictures from Pomeroy. Ben put the tree puller on the tractor and pulled out some trees. We are have an ongoing war with Russian Olive Trees that we are determined to win. We loaded a bull up and sent him to his new home. Then we went and did chores in the rain. Yes, we need the rain. We also need some heat units with it so the grass will grow.

Happy Easter, sorry I did not have an Easter Post. We went and hunted eggs then the Meachams went to Moses Lake. Terry and Erina came down and we had ham, potatoes, vegetables and pies. Erina got to go meet Molly B with Mom during one of her feeding times. After, Anna and I went and got Izzy, Voodoo and Barb in. We put Izzy with Jackpot and hauled Barb and Voodoo to the house. Barb went in the heavy pen, she is due any day. She is bred to McBride’s champagne stallion. Then Toni and I hauled Twiggy up to Dude and Smokey Joe up to put with Slick. Kade is riding Slick every day and practicing roping. Toni may need to send him to get lessons. We are not a family that ropes, but he seems to have the bug. Toni put out mineral and I walked out to check Mil and see if she is heavy, she is also due any day.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Last Week in Pictures – From rain to snow to sun oh wait, more snow.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Last Week in Pictures

I am not done with the Pomeroy pictures, so still missing Ady, Natalie, Julian, Vanna and Kayla.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

“Spring is when you feel like whistling, even with a shoe full of slush.” – Doug Larson

Monday was the first official day of spring break and a wind storm. Toni had court in the morning, Anna checked the cows and horses. Anna’s friends came out and spent the day and night with her. Toni brought lunch home for her and the boys. Dad went up and supervised the girls riding, yes in the wind storm. Kade also had to ride in the wind. We made fun of them, but mom and dad pointed out that we did that crap too when we were their age. You can’t keep a good rider down and wind is nothing. Toni let the boys out of building fence, since Freida was colicing and they had to walk her. Toni gave her some immediate response and some Zesterra from Rowdy Berry. Then they walked her and walked her and walked her. For awhile we didn’t think anything was going to work, but we got her through.  It is funny, once she was better, she was better and she wanted out of the corral. Too bad for her that she isn’t the boss. She had to stay in the corral until morning just to make sure no relapses.

Tuesday it was still windy, but not wind storm highs. Anna checked and then the kids worked on steers. Anna continued to clip the steers. Toni took Twist over to hand breed to Whitty again, at Holly’s house. Mom had just enough pie left for Toni and I.  So we got that pie after we got our chores done which included putting in posts and teasing Stetson to his mares. Stetson is new to us, so he doesn’t get to be left with the mares, but gets to be with them long enough to get his job done, which can be an hour or 2. So far he is doing pretty well and getting things figured out.

Wednesday the kids continued clipping and working on their steers. The wind still blew a little bit, but not as bad. Toni and the kids worked on the 2, 3 and 4 year olds. They all did great. We tried hand breeding Mud again to Stetson, and she is no longer in heat so we turned her out. We are now hand breeding BB to Stetson, she should be coming in and will move Annie down to breed her to Stetson as well. We put a section of wood fence on the next section of fence we are building. Then the boys went to help Anna with the show cattle and Toni and I put two more wood posts in. The men are continuing to work on the circles and get water on.  

Thursday the kids finished clipping and packed up the trailer to go to the Garfield County Preview. Toni and the kids worked on the young horses again and had a second day of them really doing great. Once school starts again they will work on a few each night, but with spring break, they decided to work on all of them. Anna really likes both of hers, Kade really loves Stormy and is trying to convince Toni to take Jitter. Kaine likes both of his, but is also helping Toni with the 2 year olds to see if one of those will really connect with him.  After work and chores we put up some more fence.

Friday we finished packing up the trailer. I went out and checked and Twiggy had foaled, we are mad she had a colt, we would like to have kept him, beautiful blazed bay colt. Toni and Jaxsen ran to the bank. Toni had settled a case that was headed to trial the next week that hinged on funds being sent on Friday.  Then we loaded up and went to Pomeroy.  The cattle all unloaded great, especially since three haven’t been anywhere and the other three haven’t been anywhere since November. We washed the cattle when we got there. Lots of people were at the fairgrounds so we had a nice get together in the barn for awhile. Then all 12 of us slept in Kayla’s camper. Kayla, thanks for letting us use your camper. 

Saturday the kids showed, and they all did really well. Most made it back to the championship round, in showmanship, market, or both. Kaine was reserve champion intermediate showman. We all had a great time and it was great seeing everyone.  The weather was ok for Pomeroy, meaning it only snowed a little and was super windy. 71 head of steers were at the show and 13 heifers, so a tremendous turn-out for the time of year and weather conditions. Of course it was mostly die-hard show kids, so the classes were deep. Then we loaded up and came back from Pomeroy. As we rolled home in an exhausted state, we realized Ben and Dad had done the horse chores. So all we had to do was unpack the cattle, the kids, the vehicles, greet the dogs (because they missed us the most), and do a check on the livestock to make sure all was well. There were some things that we needed to deal with on Sunday, but nothing that really couldn’t wait. I am not even close to done with the pics, so I have not gotten to the Natalie, Ady, Julian, Vanna and Kayla yet, but they were there.

                Friday the bulls were fighting through the gate, broke the chain, and got all of the cows mixed together. Since we were leaving we left them until Sunday. So here we are on Sunday in the cold and wind getting the cows in and sorting them. We sorted the heifer calves into one pen and the bulls into the other. After helping us get them in the kids washed their steers. We turned all the cows back out with the proper bulls. We then fixed the fence after.  Sunday was long. Probably partly because we were still tired. Really it mostly went well, it just felt like a lot.

It is crazy to think we are already to the middle of April. Foaling has really slowed down, but I think it always feels like we have a wave of foals, then a break, then another wave. We have about 5 mares that are due, so just a waiting game. With the weird weather, it might be best if they hold out for a bit.

We decided to add a two-year-old for sale on our page, a Leroy daughter out of Ro, our Silver Gun daughter. This is a really nice red dun filly. She has tremendous potential, loves people, quick, smart, really a great project for any age. Her pedigree speaks for itself in terms of a listing of great AQHA horses with performance. Jean has been a favorite of the family since she was born. We would like to see her go to a performance type home. We have decided to offer her for sale because we have too many young horses and the kids want to ride what they have already gotten started. Kaine likes Jean, but he wants something bigger. This is a very pretty and feminine typey filly. We are excited to see her reach her full potential.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Sorry for the pictured overload. Last Week in Pictures