From Cold Temps, Hign Wind Warnings, to Sun Burns, all in one week.

Monday we are all still recouping from the wild weekend. The kids were happy they did not have school and had a day to rest. Kaine’s jackpot steer was a little bloated, so we switched him to grass hay. Dad, Kaine, and Kade went to Othello to pick up meat. Anna had a tennis match at 4, so I got off early to go and watch her. However, the other team did not have enough people, so she just scrimmaged with her own team. We found a trailblazer on Facebook that our friend Sammy was selling, so she met us a the tennis match, her brother was playing, and we looked at it for uncle Skip. Uncle Skip has a really old Blazer that keeps breaking down. We got back to the house and Toni and the boys had put up some more sections of fence and were getting the horses in to take North tomorrow. Just an FYI, when you tell boys to pick up strings, they hear, pick up whips and whip each other with them. There were some big bale strings from the last big bale and the boys decided to chase each other with those for a bit. We had to get all of the horses in at the house to get our AI mares sorted out. We moved Crystal into the heavy pen and gave Cleo an E-se shot while the kids did chores. Toni and I went up and hooked up the trailer and got Annie and brought her down too. The kids went up to feed their steers, Ringo was bloated, so we have him some therabloat and walked him around. Then to bed.

We found out Monday night that our good friends Leslie and Alan Alexander were in a terrible vehicle accident, and Leslie has passed away. This was tragic news, Leslie has been a great friend, supporter of youth everywhere, mentors to many. Ours hearts go out to Alan and their family.  This is a great loss as a family friend and to our ag community.

Tuesday the wind was blowing, high wind warnings, blowing dust. Toni canceled her and dads trip North, Anna’s tennis practice was canceled. Toni and dad went to Sammy’s and got the trailblazer for Skip. Toni and Anna both checked, Toni told the horses it was too windy to foal, hold them in.  Kaine still had baseball practice, so dad took him in to that, watched and brought him home. Mom forgot school was back on and forgot to bake pizza pockets, so the kids all thought they were starving to death. Toni did not make them put up fence, due to the wind, so she was feeling very generous. But, she did start the water in the yearling pens. When you first start water you have to let the water run before you hook-up the sprinkler so Toni had wet shoes which she doesn’t like. Rob’s rental equipment did not go back on Tuesday, and it still had hrs on it, so Ben and Kicker moved dirt until late on Tuesday. Also, the Cox cow we bought had a cute heifer calf on Tuesday.

Wednesday the wind was still blowing. Rosey was down in a hole hiding from it, so Toni had to hike to find her, and she did not have a baby. Kaine had baseball practice, Anna had a tennis match in Benton City, so Toni had to load the poles for fencing on her own, she was not pleased. There were rock piles on the road from the equipment work the night before, so the toolbox in her pick-up got knocked sideways on the trip down to mom’s. Kade is still waiting for some sort of sport to start for him. He would like it to start ASAP. It was just Toni, Kade, and Jax putting up fence. Jax is now referring to Toni as the “Warden.” Kade and Kaine fed the steers and then worked on Kaine’s bicycle. I went to Anna’s tennis match, they were the last set of Doubles to play, they did not start until 6:40 (her match) so it was 8 by the time it got over. So we stopped at DQ on our way home and got food to go. Her and her partner won their match. We also found out on Wednesday that school is going to go back full time a week from Thursday.  Toni is not happy about it at all. She asked if Kaine and Anna could be homeschooled. Haha.

At least in the AM the wind had died down. Still no new babies. Mil HAS to foal soon. Kaine and Anna both had practice Thursday. Toni, Kade and Jaxsen built the last sections of wood fence on the south side of the yearling colt pen. Anna, Kaine and I got there in time to help roll up the wire from the old fence and take out the posts. I mentioned to Toni that I helped on three evenings, they have been working on it for over a week, I do not feel like my comments were appreciated. I did get a good laugh though. We had to Dr one of Anna’s pigs Thursday night, she appears to have pneumonia. And the kids fed their steers and cleaned out the barn. Kaine and Kade are cleaning Ben’s stuff out of his shed so they have a place to work on their bikes, as in bicycles. They also smuggled some Capri Suns, Gatorades and flashlights out there. I guess if they are missing we know where the first place to look is.  Jax is not allowed into the shed.

Friday Toni and Kicker headed out to celebrate their anniversary and took Kade and Jaxsen to visit grandma Sherri and grandpa Berry who have been in Arizona. So they drove to Moscow to drop the kids and see Sherri and Barry, then onto their celebration point.  Oh yea, Mil still has not foaled. We are on day 362. No one else foaled either. Kaine had baseball practice. Mom took Anna to her tennis match. John went up to Jake’s and got Zoie back for us, Jake is no longer breeding and was using Zoie, then John and Marlo helped Kaine with chores when he got off of the bus. Ben was working late, so then Kaine and Marlo did chores at our house. I went to Broadmoor after work to get a part for the camper, I forgot the old part and of course we could not tell from the pic Anna sent what part we needed. So I went home.

Saturday first thing we had a meat buyer out that bought 100 lbs. Then we went and checked and Izzy had a cute filly by Leroy. Next, Ben, Anna, Kaine and I started working and sorting the cows. Toni, Kicker, Kade and Jax were gone, but the bull calves are riding the heifers, so we decided we would go ahead and get as many as we can done. We got them all in first and sorted, then worked the smaller groups on Saturday and held the bigger group in to work on Sunday.

Sunday we finished working the cows, then we worked the show heifers. Toni, Kicker and the boys got home from Clarkston, and then we had Clint Reeves come out to look at horses. He bought Ray, he had trained one of our horses in the past we found out. A colt by Colonel and out of Twist, he really liked him so he googled us and saw Ray.  In the way of the ag world, we had lots of people we knew in common and Clint and Jaime had brought a friend with them that ended up being our friend Sarah’s sister-in-law. Small world. That is one of the joy’s of our industry, even if you don’t know someone, you probably know someone that knows them. 

Toni and Dad decided to head north on Monday so we got our mares in on Sunday night, got them sorted, and ready to go for Monday. No new mares got moved to the heavy pen, so that is kind of sad. These mares need to get with it! I think this is what happens every year, but it is frustrating. So far there are 13 fillies and 4 colts on the ground. And we love every one of them.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: